Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Elvis Presley - I Want You, I Need You, I Love You

"I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" is a popular song written by Maurice Mysels and Ira Kosloff. It is known best for being Elvis Presley's second RCA single album release.

It was released during May, 1956 becoming Presley's second #1 single album scoring on the country music charts, and maximizing at #3 on the Billboard Top 100 popular music singles chart, an earlier version of the Billboard Hot 100.

Before the creation of the Billboard Hot 100 chart during 1958, there were a number of charts including Jukebox plays, Store charts, and Airplay charts. The song scored #1 on the Billboard Top Sellers in Stores chart, and is therefore sometimes wrongly assumed to be a #1 scoring single album in its own right.

"I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" was backed with My Baby Left Me and was released on May 4, 1956. Pre-orders of over 300,000 were the biggest ever in the history of the company.

At the time of its release, Presley had three songs scoring in the Top 20: "Heartbreak Hotel/I Was the One," "My Baby Left Me", and "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You". On June 5, 1956 Presley performed the song on The Milton Berle Show, as well as an early version of "Hound Dog" that resulted in a negative reaction from the media.

Despite this negative publicity, the single was generally well received, maximizing at #3 on the Billboard Top 100 popular music singles chart, and scoring #1 on the country music chart.The song earned Presley his second Gold record, with sales in excess of 1.3 million.

Presley's previous single "Heartbreak Hotel" scored the charts for eight weeks and his next two singles, the mega-selling double-sided success "Don't Be Cruel"/"Hound Dog" and "Love Me Tender", would score the charts for a combined 16 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment