Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Hellen Forrest - Perfidia

Helen Forrest (April 12, 1917 – July 11, 1999) aka The Blue Lady, was one of the most popular female jazz vocalists during America's Big Band era.

Her smooth and swinging voice was soft and warm. As a young girl, she sang in New York radio stations and then in her brother's Washington band. She later became the lead singer in Artie Shaw's band in 1938, replacing Billie Holiday.

Forrest recorded 38 singles with Shaw's band. Two of her biggest hits with Shaw were the songs "They Say" and "All the Things You Are."

She also graced the bands of Harry James, Benny Goodman and others in later years.
Forrest attained her peak of popularity among female jazz female singers in 1941 - singing wartime hits. Her signature song, "I Had The Craziest Dream", is also the title of her autobiography written in 1982.

In 1944 she became a solo singer. She appeared on radio and film shorts and went touring. In the 1950s she curtailed her activities but continued to perform in the 1960s to 1980s. She cut her last album in 1983.

Helen Forrest died from congestive heart failure on July 11, 1999 in Woodland Hills, California at the age of 82.

"Perfidia" (Spanish for "perfidy", as in faithless, treacherous or false) is a popular song written by Alberto Domínguez (1911–1975), a Mexican composer and arranger about love and betrayal.

Aside from the original Spanish, other renditions exist, including English and instrumental versions. The English lyrics are by Milton Leeds. The song was published in 1939 and became a hit for Xavier Cugat in 1940.

"Perfidia"' has been recorded by many artists, including Julie London, The Four Aces, Charlie Parker, Glenn Miller, Nana Mouskouri, The Shadows, The Ventures, Trini Lopez, Linda Ronstadt (in Spanish), Nat King Cole (in Spanish), Cliff Richard, Lawrence Welk, Luis Miguel, ,

The song is played in the film Casablanca when Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart dance in the Paris nightclub, in the flashback sequence of their romance there

1 comment:

  1. That's right, and presently it appears to have entered a limbo state. Still doesn't have a cover craftsmanship or anything. Likely wont get a vinyl discharge either, as with and life of . in fact, I'm more into '90s/'00s hip-jump than present day hip-bounce by and large, however kid am I happy hip-jump has, generally, left plays, hip hop beats for sale, in the dustbin of history. I won't ever sing the commendations of De La's presentation since it reviled us with the play (even without the dramas, I'd in any case put it up there as one of the most misrepresented records in the hip-jump group). Plays can be hilarious or entertaining the initial not many twists, however man, on rehash listens do they wear.Honestly my greatest generally speaking objection with, I paid attention to it likely multiple times in your post as of now. I needs more.I acknowledge what I'm going to say doesn't have anything to do with the real Over powered however I didn't know that you had this sort of added to your repertoire and I want you to tell me the amount of this you have and how much ass I need to kiss to get it.You can think of it as a suggestion to me. In the wake of perusing/hearing your post I both of their combinations and I in a real sense have not quit paying attention to them since.The intriguing part is that two or three tunes I had kept in touch with them off as kind of a curiosity rap act that I expected to switch off soon and most likely at no point pay attention to in the future. In any case, by then I was delighted - proved unable/can't quit tuning in. Thanks!I absolutely never see, hip hop beats for sale, as wannabe hoodlums. Only results of their current circumstance. J grew up poor however outside of Detroit while grew up with in Detroit. They went to with Eminem and Confirmation. They recollect individuals being shot and killed over rap fights. Mono has been in trapped in a drive by previously. J got harassed by mean children with BB weapons. exclusive beats

    ReplyDelete